With increasing reliance on the Internet to support so many aspects of your business, have you considered the impact on your customers if your office phones and Internet stopped working?
We understand it is important for you to maintain Internet connectivity in the event of an unforeseen primary network outage, failed connection or as an interim access solution while you are waiting for a new Internet service to be connected.
Commander 4G Backup provides an alternative Internet connection for web browsing (up to 12/1 Mbps) and Internet telephony calls when your fixed Internet service has failed or is pending activation.
Enjoy peace of mind knowing you won’t lose contact with customers or suppliers and be assured of business continuity⁴.
Delivered over a mobile broadband service, 4G Backup lets you access the Internet and make/receive IP Voice calls (in line with your plan’s inclusions) when your fixed Internet connection has failed or is waiting to be activated.
The Business Modem is Commander-supplied hardware that supports Internet connectivity and includes capability to make/receive IP Voice calls over a broadband network.
The modem automatically configures upon connection to the Commander network and includes a built-in SIM to enable 4G backup access to Internet, when your primary fixed connection is not available.
The Business Modem can identify when a fixed Internet connection has failed. Once it detects the primary service has been disconnected (PPP session not established), the modem automatically switches over to the 4G Backup service (via an inbuilt SIM card) to support Internet connectivity over mobile broadband.
4G Backup enables the modem to re-establish Internet connectivity to IP handsets, so you can continue to make and receive calls in backup mode. A short period of down-time will be experienced as this re-routing takes place.
In reverse, the same will happen when the modem detects a successful (previously established) fixed Internet connection. It will automatically switch from the 4G Backup service to the primary fixed Internet service, after a short delay.
Note: IP handsets must go through the network registration process each time they reconnect to the Internet, via either a primary fixed Internet or 4G Backup service, hence, why a short period of down-time is experienced whilst this process takes place.
4G Backup supports Internet access and IP Voice calls during periods of a failed connection or as an interim service whilst waiting for a primary service to be connected. As an interim service, 4G Backup may be particularly beneficial if you are moving into new premises, for example. If being used as a ‘plug & play’ interim solution, the Business Modem may need to be rebooted once the primary service is connected and available for use.
4G data traffic for Internet access is speed shaped to 12/1 Mbps.
It is important to understand that some data (streaming for example) can demand a lot of bandwidth. To maximise the performance of critical data business activity (including voice), non-essential traffic should be avoided.
Fax and Voiceband data services, such as dial-up EFTPoS or HiCAPS, may not work on this service. Alternative solutions should be considered for these and back-to-base alarm services.
4G Backup is only available via a Commander Business Modem that is linked to an eligible Commander fixed Internet service (i.e. active on the same account) and used at the same address.
4G Backup for IP Voice calls, through the same Commander Business Modem, will be supported for eligible IP Voice services on the same account and used at the same address.
4G Backup is enabled free of charge, when a Commander Business Modem is bundled with a fixed Internet service on the same account.
Commander 4G Backup is a mobile broadband service delivered over the Optus 3G/4G Plus mobile network.
Commander Business Modem (NL1901) – current model:
- 4G: Optus LTE-Advanced FDD 2100MHz (B1), 1800MHz (B3), 2600MHz (B7), 700MHz (B28)
- 3G: Optus HSPA+ 2100MHz (B1), 900MHz (B8)
- Note: Commander 4G Backup is available in these Optus mobile network coverage areas only.
Commander Business Gateway (AR1219) – superseded model:
- 4G: Optus LTE-Advanced FDD 2100MHz (B1), 1800MHz (B3), 2600MHz (B7)
- 3G: Optus HSPA+ 2100MHz (B1), 900MHz (B8)
- Note: Commander 4G Backup is not available in Optus 4G coverage areas delivered over LTE 700MHz (B28) alone.
4G Backup will not support calls (including calls to Emergency ‘000’ services) without a power supply.
To ensure continuity of service in the event of a power outage, please ensure you maintain a battery backup or UPS solution for all your hardware (e.g. modem, switches, IP Voice handsets) or have a charged mobile phone available.
Yes, a Static IP Address is provided per 4G Backup service (i.e. SIM). No additional costs apply.
International Roaming is not available on this service therefore backup will not support use overseas.
By default, the Commander Business Modem will connect to an available fixed broadband service as a primary Internet connection.
4G Backup can be used as a temporary backup Internet connection for interim or failover purposes only.
On the front panel of the Commander Business Modem, the ‘PPP’ light up will be off, indicating that the primary fixed Internet connection has failed.
You will be disconnected until the backup route is established. The same will apply for the return connection to the primary service.
Your call will be disconnected and you will experience a short period of down-time whilst the backup route is established and your IP handsets connect via the 4G Backup service and re-register to the network. The same will apply for the return to primary service.
If you have inbound port address translations configured for remote access to servers on an office network, these will cease to function when the primary service is not available.
Some organisations also establish IP Sec VPN connections between sites. In the event of a primary service outage, the IP Sec tunnel and Port Forwards will not be established will need to be re-setup.
Remote access is possible when in 4G Backup mode and the primary access is unavailable.
- Service is delivered via a mobile broadband service on the Optus Mobile Network and is subject to availability in some areas. 4G Backup is not available in Optus 4G areas restricted to 700MHz (B28) coverage only. Check Mobile Coverage
- Supports unlimited access for Internet and IP Voice calls (in line with plan inclusions). Both upload and download data are counted. Acceptable Use Policy applies.
- Commander IP Voice services and Commander Business Modem are sold separately.
- 4G Backup is available as an interim service in the event a primary fixed internet connection has failed or is pending activation.
- The failover and return to a primary service in the event of a primary service outage will result in a short period of downtime as re-routing takes place and IP handsets re-register to the network.
- 4G Backup is available on new mobile broadband services only. Service includes a Static IP Address. 4G Backup will not work in the event of a power outage. For power redundancy, please ensure you have a battery backup system or UPS for your router, LAN and handset equipment.
- 4G Backup is not permitted for use as a permanent Internet connection and cannot be used at an alternative location or whilst a linked primary Internet service is detected for use at the address on the customer’s account.
- International Roaming and SMS are not supported on the Service.
- Information is correct as of 1st February 2019.
- For full details, please see applicable Critical Information Summaries for eligible IP Voice and Internet plans.